Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vintage Hat Cake

I made this cake for Enrichment night at church. The theme was H.A.T.S. (Have A Taste of Service) and we decorated with vintage hats and other cool vintage things. Most of the people thought this cake was a real hat. What a compliment! : ) This was really fun to make, and it was pretty easy, too. It was a three-tier cake - the top and bottom layers were chocolate and the middle layer was vanilla. It was frosted and filled with chocolate frosting and I covered it with marshmallow fondant. The flowers were "fantasy flowers" made from gum paste.



I trimmed the edge a little, on the rim of the hat after this picture wa taken.







I originally decorated the back of the hat with "buttons". But I had an extra blue flower so I changed it to this.....


Which one do you like better?





3 comments:

  1. You're so talented at this! I like that you even made the little holes around the edges of the "ribbon". The details are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great!! So beautiful! It's too bad you cut into it though... heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I'm sure it was a big hit. And I like both the buttons and the flower, both look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete